Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tantrums


Elya just had the worst tantrum today and in the shopping mall. I was sweating, puffing, reddening, trying to keep my calm and trying to hold her still while it seems all the passer bys were staring at us!

How do you deal with tantrums in public places?

At home its 'easy', I will let her cry/shout it out and she will eventually calm down and ask for a hug. She hardly ever had a big tantrum in a public place - whiny sometimes but not like the full blown one she had today.

Looking at it in her perspective, I should have known better! I stretched her day too long.

Anyway my baby is sleeping quietly now, but I know she will wake up in a bad mood. After so much crying that what happens most of the time!

How do other mothers deal with tantrums?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not a mother however have heard of these public tantrums. There is one mom who said that it's as if her son knows that in public, he has all the power in the world, cos his mom is not going to shout or yell - because generally passers-by will usually blame the mom for being a hysterical woman. Worse, you can't just ignore it in public, because people around will still stare at you like you're a bad mom. The thing is, whatever you do, people will stare at you. Those who have kids and have experienced this will understand and empathise. Did you try the distraction method? They also say that if you try to "re-read'back into the tantrums, try to spot the signals that one is about to start. Perhaps you can nip it in the bud before it turns into a full-blown one. Good luck my friend. You are a wonderful mom and I love all the activities you make Elya do, I think it is so different from the usual watch tv, watch tv. It's so interesting to make her do all these creative activities, which are also fun.